Yep, you read that right. Cinnamon Glazed. Apple Fritter. Muffins. If you have some vegan doubters in your life, you know, the ones who say vegans only eat salads, that there’s just no way vegan food can taste good, or that vegans are “missing out”, then you must make these muffins for them. Like now. Yeah, they’re sugary and so not healthy, but it’s all good. No animals were harmed :-).
Layers of sweet vanilla batter and cinnamon decked apples, baked not fried, and then just to take it over the edge to that next level of wow, a sweet cinnamon glaze liberally spooned on top. These are awesome for a weekend breakfast with an enormous cup of coffee (or tea) or for a special occasion brunch. I mean, I wouldn’t make these all the time because, well, you might all of a sudden need to hide from your scale, but as a treat, they are unbelievable.
Cinnamon Glazed Apple Fritter Muffins
- 3 cups apples, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba (chickpea brine) *
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened soymilk)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin lightly with oil.
- To prepare apples: Combine the apples, sugar and cinnamon and mix until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- To make Cake: Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the aquafaba and vanilla to the butter and beat well. The batter will look really weird at this point, like it’s separated and gone wonky; it’s ok.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until only just combined.
- Mix in the non-dairy milk and beat until you have a thick smooth batter.
- To assemble the Muffins: Use 1/2 the batter to fill the muffin tins. Spoon 1/2 the apples over each muffin. Cover the apples with the remaining batter and then top each with the remaining apples. You should have four layers: batter, apples, batter, apples.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until muffins are golden and spring back lightly at the touch.
- Let cool completely and then spoon glaze over, as little or much as you want.
- To make Glaze: Whisk all glaze ingredients together until smooth.
*if you haven’t discovered the amazingness of aquafaba yet, check out www.aquafaba.com and the Vegan Meringue Facebook group. Aquafaba is not a specialty hard to find ingredient; it is literally the liquid that you would usually drain from a can of chickpeas. That’s it. Stop draining that liquid into the sink and start draining it into a bowl to save, to make cakes and muffins and pies and meringues!!
*This recipe can also be made in a loaf pan. Use a 9×5 pan, lined with aluminum foil and sprayed lightly with oil for easy removal. Layer the batter and apples the same as you do with the muffins. Bake for 45-50 minutes.