If you’re looking for a simple yet very impressive dessert, look no further. This cake takes just minutes to whip up and put in the oven and the frosting is even simpler. The hardest part is waiting for the cake to cool so you can frost it and eat it!
This cake is also quite simple in it’s spices, using only allspice, to give it a nice flavorful kick without being overwhelming. The cake is super light and fluffy, airy and bouncy and of course, delicious. The non-vegans in my life loved it and came back for seconds and thirds, so believe me when I say this one’s a winner!
Shared on Healthy Vegan Fridays 🙂
Triple Layer Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (omit if aquafaba is salted)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1/2 cup aquafaba/chickpea brine*
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup plain non-dairy milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain non-dairy yogurt
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter or margarine, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 3 9″ cake rounds (can also use 8″).
- Mix non-dairy milk with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, allspice and salt. Set aside.
- Cream the non-dairy butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, a couple minutes.
- Mix in the aquafaba in two additions, beating well after each one.
- Beat in molasses. Batter may look a little funky and separated at this point. It’s ok :-).
- Add the non-dairy yogurt to the milk mixture and stir well.
- Alternately beat in the flour mixture and the milk mixture, starting and ending with the flour, so you will beat in 1/3 the flour mix, then 1/2 the milk mix, then 1/3 the flour, 1/2 the milk and end with the final 1/3 flour. Mix each one in until they are just mostly incorporated before adding the next. After the final flour addition beat batter for 1 minute until smooth.
- Divide batter between prepared cake pans and bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cake will also spring back when lightly touched.
- Cool cakes on wire cooling rack. Make sure they are cooled completely before frosting or frosting will melt.
- To make Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat non-dairy butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Beat in the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Frost with 1/3 of the frosting. Place second layer on top and frost with another 1/3 frosting. Place final layer on top and frost with remaining frosting. Sprinkle top with a little bit of allspice for decoration if desired.
**if you haven’t discovered the amazing-ness of aquafaba yet, check out http://www.aquafaba.com and the Vegan Meringue Facebook group. Aquafaba is not a specialty hard to find ingredient; it is literally the liquid that you would usually drain from a can of chickpeas or other beans [in this recipe, I actually used kidney bean brine because that’s what I had]. That’s it. Stop draining that liquid into the sink and start draining it into a bowl to save, to make cakes and muffins and pies and meringues!