Fudgy, decadent, chock full of coconut, walnuts and chocolate chips and yes, also vegan and gluten free. Does life get any better? Actually it does – these are oil free too :=D. Enjoy!
Side Note|Warning: Don’t taste the batter. Seriously. Usually I would encourage you to, after all there are no worries of salmonella from eggs or anything, but this one is a bit different. Have you ever tasted raw chickpea flour? If you have, you know what I’m talking about. It’s bitter and has a very strong overwhelming flavor. But don’t worry, somewhere in the great magic of baking, the flour loses it’s power and blends right in, taking it’s place among the other ingredients so perfectly you’d never know how it started out.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba *
- ½ cup unsweetened plain applesauce
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or coffee extract or 1 teaspoon of each)
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease a 9" pie pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the aquafaba, applesauce, sugar and extract and mix well.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder and mix until completely combined.
- Stir in the coconut, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread in prepared pie plate and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool. Slice wedges like a pie and serve with whipped coconut cream.
Shared on Healthy Vegan Fridays – an awesome weekly collection of recipes!